| I bought Ate brake hoses for my 6.9 for a while back on a German Web-Shop. I worked on the brakes and replaced all the other hoses as well during the first winter. Driver's side front hose thread damaged during the installation on the brake caliper, it did not tighten at all;the thread was gone. I complained the company but I needed to order another one on my cost as they claimed it was a mistake in the installation.
I did not tighten the new hose so hard a I usually do, I used aluminum paste in the threads. In last autumn's MOT inspection I saw the joint was "sweating" a bit, I had driven the car some time without any leaks.
Yesterday I tried to tighten the hose a bit but it immediately failed again, the thread on the hose was damaged. The thread in the caliper seemed fine; I cleaned it as much as I could and re-installed the original hose that I still had with me, using a copper paste to help. The original hose had Ate brand stamped on the rubber, the aftermarket hose did not have Ate marking on the hose.
Also the metal fittings on aftermarket hose ends seemed to be different, color was like aluminum and not zincplated, seemed to be softer than usual. I have installed aftermarket hoses in the past without any problems. Perhaps nowadays the right way is to buy these at the dealer's.
1971 300 SEL 6.3 #5581
1980 450 SEL 6.9 #7201
1987 560 SEC
1992 500 E