Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

EugeneGroysman

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  22:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,
I am a new member on this forum, never owned 6.3 before.
I was looking to buy a car for my father as a B-day present. When I came across one 6.3 locally I had an opportunity to inspect and drive it. I was very impressed how properly w109 was designed /built.
Two months later, I bought 1971 Mercedes Benz 300SEL 6.3 in Massachusetts.
My car's vin# 109.018-12-004774. According to its title, Mr. Thomas J Sullivan from Massachusetts bought it in 1994. The car was last time inspected/registered in 1995. Since then it was in storage. Also it was another sticker on driver's door back from 1985 stating that oil change was done somewhere in New York State. This is all I know about the car.
It runs and drives, has some rust here and there, interior is in decent condition.
Noticed problems:
1. Rusted break lines. I am planning to replace all lines, calipers, pads and rotors.
2. Cooling system leaks. I am planning to rebuild water pump and hoses.
3. Oil leak under pressure from power steering pump reservoir. What could it be?
4. Air suspension seems ok but for some reason holds better in warm weather.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Eugene

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  22:38:33  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations and welcome to the world of pain....lol just kidding. The oil leak you notice is the seal between the compressor and powersteering pump. It allows engine oil to enter the power steering often filling the reservoir right up with engine oil which then sprays out the front or all over the suspension on that side. It's not a hard job to repair it but difficult because you have to remove the pump and compressor to replace it. Small hands are an advantage. The seal can be bought at any bearing place . Another thing that should be done at the same time is replace the oil pressure line to the compressor,the fuel filter,the flexible fuel line and drive belts.

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

rstarga

12 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  13:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get thos elines from Neil Dubey at Star Motors. It looks like your suspension needs some work too, how long does it take to drop to the level in the pictures? It should stay up for many days if not moved.

David Rocha
Go to Top of Page

olliw109

Germany
385 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  15:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How comes it that those Pics remind me in 5327 when he entered my world!!
He ran also and his brakes worked well, no rust at all.....something here, something there...but overall good running condition!
Today after 4 tough years he slowly starts reconquering the asphalt again......looking pretty nice alike he was when he first left Stuttgart on a foggy pre-winter day in Nov 1970....
It was comparably warm on the 11th then with max. temp of 16.6 and min. 10.6 degree Celcius, no sun little rainfall...

300 SEL 6.3 3478+5327
Oliver
Go to Top of Page

EugeneGroysman

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  22:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your replies.

In cold weather it stays up for two three days and about a week when it's warm.
I will know for sure after I clean gas tank and fuel system.
Go to Top of Page

6point3

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  05:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Eugene

Welcome and congrats on #4774.

I saw your thread after 'Kurt's'
, but check out my reply (post#5) in the thread:
http://www.m-100.cc/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=6195#48402
This may help you too.

Good Luck

Alex

N L A County
Go to Top of Page

EugeneGroysman

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  20:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Evening,

Finally, NY got good weather and I was able to work on my car.
I have to replace last two lines to complete braking system.

Unfortunately, new rear rotors I bought from www.rockauto.com did not match. I cleaned old ones and put them back.
Go to Top of Page

EugeneGroysman

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  20:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

juan

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  23:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start!

Juan
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  05:09:28  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EugeneGroysman

Unfortunately, new rear rotors I bought from www.rockauto.com did not match.

Early cars had vented rear rotors as shown. Later cars had solid rotors with narrower calipers, which I expect is what you were sent.
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  06:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I wondered the same thing myself, but this is #4774 and the rear rotor/disc change started with #3549, so the stock solid disc should fit unless someone has swapped the rear axle at some stage.

Nice job on the front, Eugene. If the rears are within spec, you should have no trouble. The fronts do most of the work.
Art
Go to Top of Page

EugeneGroysman

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  22:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Evening to All.

I am planning to measure rear rotors and try to exchange them.

I took some pics underneath the car.

Go to Top of Page

EugeneGroysman

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  23:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once breaking system is done, I am planning to clean fueling system: to clean fuel tank, replace filters and etc. Any suggestions?

Can someone help me to choose a anti-corrosion product for undercarriage. rustbullet.com, miracle paint from mercedessource.com?
Any advice is appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  23:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apart from that box section,it looks good . A bit of surface rust is nothing to worry about. i would hit it with a wire buff in a 4" grinder to remove the surface rust and the loose PVC coating . A dose of some sort of phosphoric acid etch treatment followed by a quality etch primer ,a good paint in the body colour followed by either Wurths Body Shutz or Dinitrol should see it fixed for another 40 years.
Now that box section,

It will be badly rusted up inside there , and i would get it fixed as soon as possible because it's a major load bearing section.

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  02:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you do your fuel system, the protective housing for the fuel pump is missing. You may have trouble finding a replacement specific to the 6.3, but they are all basically the same on W108/9 cars and you have the short pump as best I can see, so see if you can get one off a car at the wreckers or from someone here who has one to sell.
Art
Go to Top of Page

EugeneGroysman

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  15:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron

Thanks for reply,
I am planning to clean the rust spots to see how deep it goes.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06