Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

karra

Finland
860 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  06:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Art Love

They were standard on the 300SE as I'm sure you know. I guess if you wanted, you could buy the 300SE parts and drill the holes. That is what has been done, not only on your car, but many others.

Whether that is what would be called an option is arguable. I don't believe that the factory delivered 220SE, 250SE, 280SE or 280SE 3.5 cars with those chrome parts. So, if I am correct, they were not an "option".
Art

Thanks Art, the first part I knew. The later is good to know, I probably have to do some explaining at the Vintage Register inspection if the mouldings were not a real option. But, if the modifocation took place more than 30 year ago then it should be fine (who knows ).

Kari Pykäläinen

1965 220 SE Coupé
1971 6.3 #5581
1987 560 SEC
1993 E420
1995 Tahoe 350cid
1982 Stingray SV175
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  09:39:04  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why do you think they would do that? Would it be to improve fuel economy in the detoxed Australian version?

Mercedes often uses different rear end ratios in different markets to suit the driving style and requirements of each country. Having said that, I would have thought that they would put the taller gear in the German market car where high speed driving is more likely. On the other hand, I expect that this car is electronically limited to 250kph, so your theory about a taller gear for fuel economy on the AUS version make sense.
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6181 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  17:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kari,
It's a cosmetic alteration only. I can't imagine that your vehicle registration people would find that a problem. If they are like ours, it is mechanical alterations that they are interested in.

If would be of any help to you, I can take a picture of the 250SE coupe that Three Point have down the hill from me, because it has exactly the same chrome additions, and send it to you. Then you would have a picture of the same model of car from the other side of the earth that looks exactly the same as yours.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11579 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  01:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karra

I decided to sell my 1968 280 SE coupe when a serious buyer appeared in September. I was thinking what to buy and ended up choosing a 560 SEC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnRwrYIdzZ4

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

karra

Finland
860 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  17:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron B

quote:
Originally posted by karra

I decided to sell my 1968 280 SE coupe when a serious buyer appeared in September. I was thinking what to buy and ended up choosing a 560 SEC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnRwrYIdzZ4

Yes yes, last time I saw this was on a big screen at our Club meeting/weekend wrenching few weeks ago.

But, only now I can see that the Coupe is 85 mm shorter than a sedan.

quote:

Kari,
It's a cosmetic alteration only. I can't imagine that your vehicle registration people would find that a problem. If they are like ours, it is mechanical alterations that they are interested in.

If would be of any help to you, I can take a picture of the 250SE coupe that Three Point have down the hill from me, because it has exactly the same chrome additions, and send it to you. Then you would have a picture of the same model of car from the other side of the earth that looks exactly the same as yours.
Art
I appreciate. The need of photos will be some time next year but certainly you can send whenever suits you to: kari.pykalainen at pp1.inet.fi

I have been working in my garage on my boat for a few days now; it is a bit different though but rewarding. And a good progress is taking place and I hope I can take the SEC in the garage before Xmas.

Somebody seems to be bringing empty beer cans in my garage; I wonder who. I will return to office work in Dec 16; I need to get my act together by that. My right arm is working fairly well after surgery but the extendability is poor plus no strength .

Kari Pykäläinen

1965 220 SE Coupé
1971 6.3 #5581
1987 560 SEC
1993 E420
1995 Tahoe 350cid
1982 Stingray SV175
Go to Top of Page

ctmaher

USA
668 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  21:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a little update to the 500SEL Euro. I removed the cover from the rear seat and the padding was gone, like shredded wheat all over the floor. The velour was still in good shape so I pulled the horsehair pad from a parts 560SEL with leather that I had laying around. I had to modify the pad slightly to accept the velour, but it was not too involved. I sewed a new piece of tacking strip and edging to the rear of the velour cover and installed it on the frame with the 560 pad and if you look at the last few pictures on this site, you will see the finished product. Cleaned up pretty good with a good vacuuming too. I now have to tackle the front seats, new pads from MB and I'm going to try to dye some parchment velour material that I have to a color that hopefully will match the Henna Red. Then I will replace the worn out sections in the covers.

Here is the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ctmaher68/500SEL#

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11579 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  15:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suspect your seat springs will be broken too by the look of the drivers seat. The passenger side seat spring box is the same part so get one from base model like a 260 or 280 .I manage to swap them in about 4.5 minutes .I have also found that moving the seat to get them out (if powered) can be managed by hooking a battery jump pack to the plug under the front of the seat and moving it back and forth. It pays to have the seat in the fully raised setting too.
The strings for the nets can be replaced at the same time by carefully removing the rear panel. The plastic trim has clips which are designed to break when repairs are carried out ,they slide up and sideways..

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

Art Love

Australia
6181 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  16:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kari,
I sent you an e.mail via this Board, but have had no response. I have the pictures of the W111. If you send me an e.mail to artlove@bigpond.net.au so I have your e.mail address, I shall send them to you.
Art
Go to Top of Page

unpolire

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  16:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice paint! How can you tell ortho seats on a W140? There's no strap down the back like older models.
quote:
Originally posted by ctmaher

Here are some pictures I took today.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ctmaher68/500SEL#

Chris

Go to Top of Page

karra

Finland
860 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  06:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick update on my two new project cars: 560SEC has had a quite full service and it passed MOT a week ago without any problems. It is in my storage garage now.

I got the 220 SEb coupe home immediately and started to look for the problems that cause poor running (runs lean).

I did the usual route;
- ignition tour (checked that the distributor was installed correctly after a factory replacement engine has gone in, new cap + rotor + plugs + cables + condenser and timing + points gapping)
- then checked the fuel transfer pump capacity plus replaced the fuel filter and all the rubber hoses
- saw that the MFIP and air controller linkage was totally incorrect
- saw the MFIP thermostat air supply line to intake manifold was plugged to prevent the air intake during cold run period
- saw that the MFIP was filled with oil up to the filler cap, drained excess oil
- realised that the idle fuel screw on the back of the MFIP does not work

All this resulted that the motor will not run at all unless I use right hand to control the MFIP and left hand to control the air control lever.

I got a spare MFIP and had to change the thermo unit from the old one. Now the motor runs with the replacement MFIP.

I could blame the Vikings; the car cam from Malmö, south Sweden and for sure a Viking has plaeyd with the car as the underneath is covered totally with tar (Viking Boat tar) .

I am glad it runs now. Next stage is to check the brakes plus all what is needed for MOT control.

The interior needs small attention, seats are black leather. The bumpers have been rechromed once but the top parts ar in poor condition (Vikings again), top sections are being rechromed once more just now.

Kari Pykäläinen

1965 220 SE Coupé
1971 6.3 #5581
1987 560 SEC
1993 E420
1995 Tahoe 350cid
1982 Stingray SV175
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11579 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  17:20:21  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mine was covered in tar too ,but as the vikings find out,the smallest little hole allows the ocean in and the salt water eats everything and you sink...

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

mthomas

USA
820 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  11:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karra, I think those 300SE chrome strips were an option on the 250SE cars. I looked at one here a 1966 250SE and the wise old german mechanic told me it was a special option that was factory ordered...I think I have a pic around here somewhere...It was on the same lot as Ron's "luftwaffe" car. This car has sold about three times since I saw it and I think it is in Texas now.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

ctmaher

USA
668 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  12:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, even on the 220. I did a partial restoration on a 64 220SEb back in the 90's that had the chrome trim and it was obvious when I removed it that it had been factory installed.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

karra

Finland
860 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  03:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks fellows! I think I will try to order the Data Card at the dealer, that will tell something. They provided data card for my ex-1968 280SE and my recent 1971 300 SEL 6.3.

Kari Pykäläinen

1965 220 SE Coupé
1971 6.3 #5581
1987 560 SEC
1993 E420
1995 Tahoe 350cid
1982 Stingray SV175
Go to Top of Page

karra

Finland
860 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2013 :  11:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After the previous posting I sold the W111 coupe and in spring 2012 bought a 1964 Pagoda to be brought back to life after a looooong storage. That is gone now since May and I have been looking for a new project car. I have something going on but I will not reveal my plans until it's sure.

I almost bought this car, it needs a new paint job due to standing under a hale storm and now the alternator is dead. The engine runs and the car can be driven, my buddy who lives in Tallin checked this out. http://eng.auto24.ee/used/1574351?id=1574351&cache_missing=1 Price is a basisi to negotiation, I got such a good offer that I would like to have also this car...

In the meantime I received a christmas present from my collegue; 1990 230TE that has been standing in storage for a year due to breakdown of the SLS (self levelling system). One power window is also dead plus I need to have MOT inspection done, anyhow the brakes plus all other safety issues have to be checked.

http://s194.photobucket.com/user/karra_010/library/230%20TE?sort=3&page=1

Kari Pykäläinen

1971 6.3 #5581
1987 560 SEC
1996 C180 A
1995 Tahoe 350cid
1980 Stingray SV175 boat

Edited by - karra on 12/21/2013 11:04:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06