Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  13:58:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Engine's nearly completed now but still waiting on a few more bits & pieces , got the pumps etc test fitted so i can make sure i've got all the pieces (found a few that had missed the plating).

Now moved onto re-assembling the gearbox
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  11:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice sunny day here so i took the opportunity to take some better photos of the engine.

Go to Top of Page

KurtB

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  16:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful! It looks like you enjoy it, that said, why don't you crate it up, send it my way and I'll send you a nice fresh one to work on! Seriously, stunning work, thanks for posting.

Kurt
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  08:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gearbox nearly back together now , hopefully will be getting engine in soon

Go to Top of Page

olliw109

Germany
385 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  11:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,amazing!!! Respect!!
What kind of seal do you use for the oil pan of the transmission??
I start getting mad by this cork thing.....
Torque should be only 10 NM but it constantly refuses to be leak-proof
Engine in (from above) takes us about 60 min., out 90 minutes (incl. exhaust), we started with a day....that is the kind of progress nobody wants!!
In/out/in/out ouch!!!

300 SEL 6.3 3478+5327
Oliver
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  12:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using the Mercedes cork gasket. The problem with pressed steel oil pans is that the bolts get over tightened and the flange becomes deformed around the holes. I made sure the flanges were flat (every bolt hole on this pan was deformed) & so hopefully it will not leak.
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2011 :  10:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just started looking at the door hardware. Pulled the window lift motors apart , all they needed was a good clean - removing the old grease that had just about set & then reassembling & adjusting the armature endfloat. The teath on one of the lift arms are worn but hopefully we've a spare that can be used.

Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2011 :  18:47:07  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olliw109

Hi Paul,amazing!!! Respect!!
What kind of seal do you use for the oil pan of the transmission??
I start getting mad by this cork thing.....
Torque should be only 10 NM but it constantly refuses to be leak-proof
Engine in (from above) takes us about 60 min., out 90 minutes (incl. exhaust), we started with a day....that is the kind of progress nobody wants!!
In/out/in/out ouch!!!

300 SEL 6.3 3478+5327
Oliver

I have had great success with loctite 542 flange sealer . It only sets hard under pressure and remains sticky otherwise. It doesn't leave hard(ish) lumps like selastic silicone does , which can and will end up in places where you dont want it.

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  12:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nearly got the dash installed now - getting the A/C ducting etc in is a real horrible job !

Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  18:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, ha, ha. Welcome to the club.
Art
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  17:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Art - my arms are still recovering from sticking them through the small openings !!

Had a bit of luck & found a NOS Hirshman aerial in Germany

The other 6.3 we have here as the original Mercedes mounting bracket so i was able to copy it

Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  18:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you get all the ducting ? there are special block off plates for the eye ball vent boxes etc . the eye balls are no longer connected to the air scoop in front of the windshield. I have complete set up for W108 and W109s here and it takes two large boxes to contain all the parts.

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  18:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We brought this as a parts car because is had A/C in it

After we removed all the A/C from it we decided it was to good to scrap so another friend had it , he was not bothered about A/C but we have most of the bits needed from a fire damaged car so it could be put back later
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  19:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The owners parts books have very pics of all the extra bits for the aircon if you need a reference. Even the firewall pads are different . There is also a sound pad under the air scoop on the passenger side above the blanked off eye ball vent hole .
The aircon option must have been a seriously expensive item back then considering the low numbers on right hand drive cars and the difference between right and left hand drive.

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

Australia
73 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  06:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there just wondering if anyone knows where to find the sound pads that on page five.
Thanks for any info on these or any other suggestions for boot and interior
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06