Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  11:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just about got the rear axle finished now - the only hold up is that the parking brake cable rubber boots (the ones that go into the backplates)are on backorder with Mercedes & without these i can't fit the cable , brake shoes etc .

I've started assembling the front subframe now but a few bits are still away at the platers holding things up.

Go to Top of Page

etmerritt33

USA
1415 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  15:37:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful stuff!!!
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  15:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for a few more pictures (sorry about the quality - its difficult to get the lighting right under the car )

Airbags installed

Axle now assembled & ready to go in

Axle now in place (and much easier than expected !)

Go to Top of Page

Chris Johnson

USA
3751 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  16:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

Hate to point it out, but the rear sway bar needs to be flipped end for end.

Chris Johnson
If you aren't constantly impressed with your car, then it needs fixing.
100.012-12-000790
100.012-12-000867
www.300SE.org

Edited by - Chris Johnson on 12/01/2010 16:45:06
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  17:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doh ! ,I should have refered to one of the many photo's i took when i stripped it down but it was below freezing outside & i didn't fancy walking up to the house to look at the pictures . Looks like i know what the 1st job to do next is
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11612 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  17:20:35  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks like Snow on the ground outaide through the windows.
The Maser has been painted too?

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  05:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A light dusting of snow yesterday & a bit more today but we seam to have missed most of it.

The Maserati is not painted yet - were just getting ready to re-attach the nose , its a long running project - its taken us 4 years to find the correct power steering box for it , we found one in the US a few weeks ago and were lucky enough to have someone bring it back from the US in their suitcase as excess baggage , now need to sort out the drop arm for it - the factory do not have any & so it looks like were going to get one CNC machined from a steel billet
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  15:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the rear sway/roll bar in the right way now

Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  13:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've made a start now on some of the pumps on the engine. I ended up re-building 2 waterpumps - one from this car & one for someone else . When i stripped the pumps down i noticed that each pump had a differnt type of seal.

Next was the air compressor

If anyone else is rebuilding one of these its a good idea if you press out the bearing in the end of the case , it has a groove around the outside for the oil feed & i found this to be partially blocked with dirt/old oil etc.

I can now start re-assembling the PAS pump , just to fool you this has imperial fastners i.e. UNC ! (so has the A/C compressor)

Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6226 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  16:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's because it is a good old English Vickers pump.

Paul, where did you get the seal and impeller for the water pump?
Art
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11612 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  16:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Art,I buy my seals from the guy in Rocklea who makes them.http://www.australiansealservices.com.au/ i think it cost me $10 for one to suit a M100 pump.

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

mtrei

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  17:07:56  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Art Love

That's because it is a good old English Vickers pump

...and the A/C compressor is an American York.
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  16:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art

The impellers are the originals , i just bead blasted them & resurfaced the seal seat on one of them (as far as i know they are still available in Germany). The seals came from Naj (he's a member of this board)

Just for info the original seals in the two pumps were

Kaco AAH 17.5 36.45/42 16.25 & Kaco AM 17 36.45 16.25 . I did find contact details for Kaco in Germany but then Naj came up with the goods so i didn't follow it up.
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  10:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been laid up for a few weeks with the Flu but now trying to get things moving. I've started re-building the steering box. Stripped it down & clean everything , fortunatly no major wear so its just a mater of resealing & reseting the pre-loads. The most difficult part was the power piston - you need a special tool to remove the steering nut (had a local machine shop make one to my drawings) & the seal on the piston has to be heated & stretched over.

The problam i have now is setting the pre-load on the axial bearings - the BBB is a bit unclear , as best as i can workout the spec is 0.5-0.7 cmkp . The manual shows a weight being used but does not say what it is (it also says a spring balance can be used but again no figures)

Go to Top of Page

neilc

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  11:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure how I missed this thread considering the amount of time I've spent on this forum recently! ;)

Wow Paul, that's incredible attention to detail. Fabulous stuff. That will certainly be the worlds most expensive 6.3 when it's finished but what a masterpiece it will be. Keep the updates coming!

Cristal - 1971 300 SEL 6.3 #5549, UK RHD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06