Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  07:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Havn't posted any updates in a while so he are a few pics.

Started fitting out the body with the Mercedes sound proofing , and have installed the overhauled heater. have also started to install some of the overhauled parts in the engine bay.

Waiting for the fibreglass type insulation & tar pads to be delivered.

Also had a batch of parts plated . All the pipe were electroless nickel plated and then zinc/yellow passivate (hopefully this should stop any corrosion issues inside the pipes)

Go to Top of Page

S class

South Africa
957 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  05:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stuff. I've enjoyed following this project.

Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  21:59:42  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul,the owner has been in touch regarding the factory air con kit i have. Biggest problem is shipping cost to the UK. If anyone has a solution where are very large box could be transported without incurring amputation of testicles or the donation of kydneys it would be appreciated.

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

S class

South Africa
957 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  16:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron,

You may want to check out this mob : http://www.uglog.com/

They are UK based, and do LCL consolidations into and out of the UK. It is of course surface mail, and therefore slow, but the quotes look very reasonable. I haven't yet used them myself, but I will probably use them the bring a Ford (!) dashboard I bought in the UK out to South Africa.

Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  14:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things are moving along now - starting to fit out the engine bay

Inside the car the i now have most of the wiring installed

The sound pads are now installed in the boot/trunk

Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  17:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for some more pictures again.

I thought overhauling the horns would be a simple job - i was wrong - they are a major feat of engineering. Each one is slightly different to give a different tone so i had to be careful not to jumble the parts up. I'm not sure what happened when i reassembled them but they now seem to the loudest horns i've ever heard on a car !

The pipework in now just about finished finally , its taken a long time but i'm pleased with the results (and the sharp eyed amongst you will notice the error with the pipe on the alcohol injector - now corrected )

I'm now about to move back onto the rear axle , its got exessive wear on one of the brake pivots so its going to be hard chromed & reground back to spec.
Go to Top of Page

ilpatino

Belgium
339 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  17:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi PJ,

congratulations on your work so far. This is going to be one fine motorcar once finished!
Keep up the good work!

Gunter
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  17:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,
Are you planning to put the engine in on the front subframe from below?
Art
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  17:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art , yes - i've built a stand on wheels that hold the engine/gearbox/subframe (sorry no photos at the moment)& will lower the car onto it - thats the way we removed it .
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  21:15:28  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes,the horns are loud,that is why the Finny and Ponton Horns are so popular. In todays world they are politically incorrect,so use them often with pride!

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  00:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,
That being the case, I'd suggest that you look carefully at whether it is easier to put in the 3 air suspension hoses by attaching them where they half remain on the chassis fixture or at the fitting on the subframe end before you install the motor and subframe. Getting to that fitting on the chassis rail is a PITA with the engine and subframe in place and you may be best to connect the 3 new hoses securely at that end before the motor is installed. The easiest way by far to install them is with the engine out, but you won't have that option.
Art
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  11:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now started to move onto the rear axle , i'd reassembled the diff sometime ago & now its time to put it back in the cases. The outside has been primed & the inside painted with Glyptal.

It took a bit of time to measure & setup everything but all seems OK. The other half of the axle is away at the moment being hard chromed where it was badly worn on the brake collar - should have that back next week.
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  15:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nearly got the rear axle completed now ,one delay on the axle was caused by a new bearing from Mercedes being defective (it had a rust pit on the outer race), apart from setting up the crownwheel & pinion the other time consuming job was reaming out the bushes on the pivot shaft - get it wrong & the bushes are scrap (and i had to have them made as they are NLA from Mercedes !)

I'm just waiting on a couple of bits & pices & the axle will be ready to go back in the car.

I've already made a start on the front subframe , after checking it was sent away for dipping & e-coating .
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  18:18:17  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul,reffering to the other post regarding the broken lower A arm,it will pay you to check the eyes on both ends to make sure that there are no cracks. Where did you buy the Glyptal ?
http://www.m-100.cc/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5811

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

Edited by - Ron B on 10/01/2010 18:20:33
Go to Top of Page

pjtigger

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  04:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron , I had been following the postings about the arm failures so i'd already stripped the paint from the arms & carefully inspected them for cracks. Mechanically the car seems to have had an easy life (it had spent about 10 years living in Monaco).

I get the Glyptal from a company in the UK - http://www.frost.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06