New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

abl567

Australia
930 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  08:06:26  Show Profile  Visit abl567's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Art,
Please send me that last pic for the magazine

300SEL
6.3 #2723, my first classic Benz
3.5 #8659, my second.
2 to go...
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  02:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some more which show the new wiring loom. The old one was in poor condition. The battery will move to the boot. The false battery will contain the electronics/relays. Fuse box has been modified to take plug in fuses. The grab rails from #771 have been leather trimmed. The grabs from #5810 have a less decorative later version end cap. The door edge guards have also been done in leather to replace the worn fabric. The new sun visors have been recoloured to match. Center tray has been done in matching leather. The new exhaust manifolds (headers) and 3 inch pipe dual exhaust setup was also there. No pictures because the expert that made them asked that they not be published because in the past his work has been copied. He claims an extra 60HP from this change alone. He makes race car exhausts for a living. The individual exhaust pipes are about 18 inches long before they join into the single pipe on either side.

Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  22:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Art,no offence meant to you,Justin or the guy who made the exhausts, but I think he is talking nonsense. Unless he has a special method of bending pipes knowone else has seen he has done nothing new that hasn't been done before in the last 100 years of car design.See Karls effort below.
If in the slim chance he could 60 Hp from a 4-1 exhaust manifold he would have an auto engineering degree and be working for mercedes Mc Laren on F1 engine design. I have a mate who does just this and works for Daimler AG .His last project was as a team member on Lewis Hamiltons engines.

The knowledge out here tells me that a 4-1 system is what you use on Chevs etc where the need is to raise the rev range up to make horsepower.And really only useful for Drag race engines which operate in pretty narrow rev range. To make real power for a street car you use the proven tri y system which uses exhaust pulses to create a suction effect in the exhaust.
If he makes an extra 60 horsepower over stock manifolds I'll eat my hat,as the saying goes. I am predicting something close to 5-15 horsepower in the normal rev range with less horsepower and torque above idle and nothing at all on the top end. I've been there and done it all before.

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

Edited by - Ron B on 10/03/2009 23:04:25
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  02:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slow progress continues. The diff has been rebuilt. Justin reports the crown wheel and pinion to be in excellent condition.

The new fuel tank is in.

New roof gutter trims are on.

Rear airsprings are on.

Front subframe is on with spacers and new mounts.

Chassis number has been reapplied to the rebuilt right front chassis rail. If you go back you will see that this part of the rail was badly buckled and the chassis number was obliterated by bog. It had been stamped into the outer guard instead!

Interior continues.

Brake booster going in.

Left front under guard items going in.

Regulators being rebuilt/replaced.

Zinced parts ready to go in.

That's it folks.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Craig Tucker

Australia
654 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2009 :  21:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art, remind Justin about those cross member mount spacers!!

C.T.

1969 300SEL 6.3 (to be AMG 6.8 replica)
1971 300SEL 6.3
1993 300E-24
1959 220SE Ponton
1983 Schuler 5.0lt Range Rover
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  01:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Craig,

They weren't in, I did, and they are in.

Art
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  17:54:05  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder where they get this cable sheathing from?

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

Craig Tucker

Australia
654 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  00:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron,

How much do you want?????

There is a supplier down here that sells it by the metre. In all the different diams. They also supply the "Thermal" stuff as well.

Give me a call.

C.T.

1969 300SEL 6.3 (to be AMG 6.8 replica)
1971 300SEL 6.3
1993 300E-24
1959 220SE Ponton
1983 Schuler 5.0lt Range Rover
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  13:05:39  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron B

Just Google "Techflex". It's widely available.
Go to Top of Page

Dan Smith

USA
1623 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  14:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art. Your posting efforts are much appreciated. Justin's new 6.3 is looking wonderful. The grey color is a classy color and shows chrome well. Your photos can be and will be used as a step by step, what's expected in a true rebuild by future 6.3 fans. Each photo can be studied for a few minutes and you still find new details. Details, details. It's all in the details.
Has Justin named his 6.3 ?? The Grey Ghost sounds good.
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  17:31:57  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mtrei

quote:
Originally posted by Ron B

Just Google "Techflex". It's widely available.

Thanks, Just found it.
http://www.techflex.com.au/index.html

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  19:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't asked Justin, but presume Mike is correct. Justin is off to Fiji with Belinda and the kids tomorrow for a couple of weeks. I may see him before he goes to check.

The loom in #5810 was a disaster. If my memory is correct, this is the loom from #771 which was much better, but with a lot of extra stuff for the computer stuff Justin is putting in, hence having to resheath it. The only comment I recall Justin making about the covering was that it is what the Factory uses in its current cars.

Justin told me Christmas Day that he had installed the new bronz bushing from Paul Jermy in the UK into the rear swing axle front bearing point (the rear was fine), and the swing axle is reattached to the diff with all new components except for the pin itself which is NLA and was fine anyway. He hoped to have the rebuilt rear axle on the car before he left for Fiji but I suspect he won't have time.

As I've said before, this ex Rob Fulton car was wreckers fodder and is being personalized. Ex Michael Smart #4426 is being kept original for daily driving and ex me parts car #771 will be the race car. That's the current plan, anyway.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  21:37:56  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember the wiring as being pretty bad,especially that odd relay mounted on the cam cover .I am not sure what is was for but I tapped it one day and the starter turned over....
We need PJ down here to sort some of these projects out.

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  03:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Justin confirmed that he got the stuff from Melbourne. He said it is made in Germany. I note the Australian importer is in Sydney based on the website Ron posted. He said the only problem he had with it was that you could see through it and he didn't like that appearance with the coloured wiring showing, so he had it pulled off and the wiring covered in black shrink and then the braided covering put back on.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Chris Johnson

USA
3751 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  11:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used this stuff in production all the time. Seeing the color of the wires can be minimized by going up a size or two larger than what might otherwise appear to be acceptable. The less you have to expand the sleeving to fit over the bundle, the less likely you are to have gaps between the individual filaments and therefore the less likely to see the wire colors.

Another thing that can be done is to put TWO sleeves over the wire bundle. An addition to hiding the wiring, the assembly remains a lot more flexible than putting heat shrink over the bundle.

Chris Johnson
If you aren't constantly impressed with your car, then it needs fixing.
100.012-12-000790
100.012-12-000867
www.300SE.org
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06