Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Art Love

Australia
6226 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  04:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ron,
All those parts are being salvaged. My understanding is that the lower arms are not compatable. We talked about that yesterday. I'll let him know what you said as the upper arms can go to the powder coater as well. The kingpins may be better as well. He's already bought kingpin repair kits. Each part will be assessed as he rebuilds the axle.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6226 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  02:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Few more pictures from today.

Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6226 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  23:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The steering shaft turned out to be bent and shortened. Don't know in which accident that had occurred. The 6.3 steering shaft is unique to the 6.3, so you can't just shove one in from a "lesser" similar car. Fortunately still in stock and very reasonably priced, so we have a new one.

Here are some pictures from today. The sunroof is rebuilt and in using some components from #771 which were in better condition. As the plan is to turn #771 into a race car, we will remove its sunroof roof and replace it with the plain roof I kept from the 300SEL I wrecked a few years ago. The hood lining is in. The carpets are going in. Various parts are being trial fitted.

The new front subframe is from the 280S we recently wrecked and perfectly in spec in contrast to the one that was on the car.
Art

Edited by - Art Love on 07/17/2009 23:26:35
Go to Top of Page

Q__

Australia
27 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  05:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW !
that is an impressive amount of work !!

Love the interior colour :)
Is the exterior a factory colour ??

1972 300SEL 6.3
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11612 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  18:43:20  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You should have seen the car or driven the car as it was before.... The bent steering shaft is something that must have happened in the dark distant past when the front was smashed.
The handling was something else. I took it for a run on the Ipswich motor way after doing the heads and decided a run up to 120kph was in order.
At an indicated 120 I thought " hmm everyone is driving slow I better do like wise..." I then looked at the speedo again to see it was in fact 120MPH and the car decided it didn't want to slow down and started doing a waltz yawing from side to side as the out of whack steering geometry took over. Not real clever at those speeds.... [8D

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

Art Love

Australia
6226 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  18:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,
6.3's were available in anthracite grey at the time. There are about 10 different versions of anthracite grey and M-B have used different shades in different models over the years. This is the one that Justin picked in consultation with the paint shop he used. I don't know for sure whether it is the exact shade that M-B used on the 6.3. You'd have to get an original nonrepainted car in good condition and stand it next to it to be sure. Justin liked it and it is his car, so that's it. #5810 came exfactory in white, so it's not original in that regard.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6226 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  07:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm continuing to post upgrades for Justin on the basis that over 4000 people have looked at this thread. I hope that a few of you are still interested to justify my continued taking and shrinking of my pics to fit here. Justin is personalizing this car a lot. He has another totally original car and #771 to do as a race car. To match the bright red interior and the white steering wheel he got from Tom Hanson, he is painting the interior components to match. For those of you who like originality, nothing done is irreversible. It is his car and project and he is passionate about it.

There are a huge number of brand new original (and replacement) parts going into this project, much to Tom's pleasure. The fuel tank is new. The gloss paint is Justin's decision as he feels it will be easier to keep spotless than the original matt finish. I'd appreciate some feedback. I don't care if it is positive or negative, but it makes it more worthwhile for the time it takes me to post these pics.
Art

Go to Top of Page

S class

South Africa
955 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  11:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please keep the pictures coming. I love looking at projects, especially ones that are as thorough as this.

Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11612 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  17:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats going to be one of the best 6.3's around,original or not,that doesn't matter. What is important is that he doing such a nice job of it considering the cost .

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

Art Love

Australia
6226 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  04:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two more pics from the weekend. The metal airtanks were in undercoat. Justin had Glasurit match the colour from inside them and has a litre of paint, so I'll be right to get the tanks on the 300SE Finnie done as well.

The sound and heat deadener on the firewall has come up very well. Note the RHD hand brake cable setup which involves two pullies to get the cable from the right side to the left of the engine bay. You can't see the right hand one, it is in the firewall adjacent to the cone shaped grommet. There are two support brackets that attach to the firewall that have eyelets on their bottom ends that the cable goes through between the two pullies and one is missing, so we'll get one off one of my donor cars. They are the same on all 108/9's.

Art
Go to Top of Page

Chris Johnson

USA
3751 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  10:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Art,

Did Glasurit provide a paint code number for the tank paint? That would allow some of us other lost soles to duplicate it with a bit more ease.

Chris Johnson
If you aren't constantly impressed with your car, then it needs fixing.
100.012-12-000790
100.012-12-000867
www.300SE.org
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6226 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  17:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris,

I'll ask. I can also ask Karl who did the same match for the tanks off #1702 10 years or more ago as below.

Art

Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6226 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  08:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris,

Justin will check with the Glasurit people here as to whether they have a paint code number, but made the comment that his painter who took the tank to Glasurit to do the colour match said he couldn't see any difference between the colour of the tank and red oxide (rust inhibiting) primer. See picture below for comparison.

Art

Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6226 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  18:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No number on the paint, just a very good colour match.

New bumpers getting ready. No other activity this week.

Art
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6226 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  04:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New rear bumper on, new fuel tank on, cleaned exhaust shield on. Underside all done in POR. New front bumper going together and one for fun.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06