Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  01:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a heat shield that goes in the transmission tunnel. None of my early cars have it. They started putting it on 6.3's at chassis #3787. Justin has one for #5810 and we think this is where it goes. He doesn't have a second one for #4426. I'm not sure which of the two cars this one came from, more likely #4426 based on the history of the 2 cars, and I haven't found anything in my lot of bits to match it. I had a look at the photo on page 2 of this thread that Craig posted of the underside of #5713 and the plate is there, but it looks different from this one. Any advice appreciated.

Art
Go to Top of Page

Craig Tucker

Australia
654 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  04:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art, Justin and others,

Yes it does look different........just another part number bla bla bla.......lol

Some shots of 5713's centre bearing heat shield.

Regards C.T.

P.S.; If you take a closer look at pic 4, you can see how they actually made a "SEL" floor pan. Crued but, effective. Oh, and the 41 year old wax sealer that has not given up the ghost. The wax may look dirty but, trust me I would eat my dinner off the underside of 5713.

1969 300SEL 6.3 (to be AMG 6.8 replica) #1268
1971 300SEL 6.3 #5713
1970 600 SWB #1692
1993 300E-24
1959 220SE Ponton #9500929
1983 Schuler 5.0lt Range Rover

Edited by - Craig Tucker on 03/12/2012 04:23:29
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  04:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Craig,
That is really helpful. I must have been looking at something else in the previous photo, because that shield does look the same as Justin's. I think we have it in the right place, but I'll put your pictures up on Justin's computer at the shed and compare them to the car.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  02:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today we did a trial fitting of the 2 stainless steel heater pipes that Justin had made. As those of you who have rebuilt one of these engines will know, there is no room for the slightest error in the shape of this pipe. Some adjustment can be made by bending the lug at the rear that goes on one of the inlet manifold bolts.

I attached a water pump body at the front. You can see the problem if all the angles are not right. That is the original pipe off this motor over to the left with the throttle body side pipe braised off.

We could only get one of the two pipes to fit. In the first picture it is in after a slight modification of the angles of the attachment bracket and in the second, I have put the fuel line in from the front damper to the MFI because that has to fit there as well.

You might wonder why the shop got the angle wrong, but it is as easy as anything to get it wrong, particularly when trial fitting of the pipe that came off the engine from #4426 which the muffler shop used as a pattern looks like this.

How did it fit in the first place? Your guess is as good as mine. There are two reasons why the second stainless pipe won't fit. Firstly, the attaching bracket is about 6-7mm too far back on the pipe at the rear which means that the end of the pipe at the front is the same distance too far forward. The second is that the angle of the front end of the second pipe is wrong enough that we don't think it can be adjusted at the bracket. Here are the two pipes sitting on the bench and you can see the difference.

Justin's cousin Wayne who does the nice welding was there today and we will get some new bracket stainless and he'll cut the existing bracket off and weld a new one on with the angle correct. He said he'll do it on the motor so it is correct. He can also cut, rotate and weld the front end of the pipe if necessary.
Art

Edited by - Art Love on 03/17/2012 02:23:16
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  03:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've got all the bits now to rebuild the front axle, and that will be next. In the mean time, Justin had the fuel pump stone shield off #4426 repaired and then used as a pattern to make a new one for #5810. The 6.3 stone shield is NLA from M-B. His stainless steel mate has made a new one from a single sheet of stainless steel which was quite a challenge. The factory steel ones are made from 3 pieces and spot welded. here is the stainless one for #5810.

Having made that, the metal worker decide it would be quite simple to make a few sets of ordinary steel panels from his patterns that can be spot welded to make a few more.

Last picture shows the stainless one, the original one from #4426 and the new panels in the background.

Art
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  19:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The second stainless steel heater pipe didn't fit as per my posting on the 17th March. With #4426 in a rest phase, there was time to get back to it to fix it last evening. You can see in the first photo of the motor from #5810 that Brendan has cut the pipe just past the bend and rotated the end so it lines up with the outlet on the water pump and tack welded it. The cut is still visible in this reduced picture just below the vacuum advance. Then, it is a bit too long with no gap between it and the pump fitting. If it is lifted, it hits the vacuum advance. The original pipe had a somewhat gentler right angle bend than the remanufactured one, giving it a bit more room. Wayne suggested easing the curve by opening and angling the cut a little and that helped but it still had the be shortened a bit.

Then it was a case of getting the rear mounting bracket correctly positioned. Brendan made a new rear bracket and cut the one from the muffler shop off and we lined it all up. There is very little room, even with the MFI out of the valley.

They bolted the bracket onto the inlet manifold stud and while Justin held the rear end of the pipe and I held the front end, Wayne tacked the bracket onto the pipe. Looks like a moment of silent prayer from Wayne and Justin as they contemplate the tack weld in this candid snap.

I had to go elsewhere and after they had checked the pipe in #765 for comparison, I left them to it. I spoke to Justin this morning and the realligned and rebuilt pipe is just about finished with just some grinding and polishing of the welds to do.

Justin said Wayne had started looking at the motor. Ron Bunting had told me that this car went like a scalded cat but handled like a dog. We found why it handled like a dog when we measured the front chassis rails and found the right one was 4cm short. That has all been fixed. Wayne has determined that the timing is 10 degrees advanced with the chain probably a tooth out. We will be interested to see the tops of the pistons. It must have pinged like hell. I'll keep you posted.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  23:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While Justin was busy with other commitments yesterday, I got stuck into the front quarter windows (I believe called vent windows in the USA). They need to go in before the Bailey channel can be inserted and the window mechanisms put in. I did the rear quarter windows ages ago. I took some photos while I did the left one. I'll post the series elsewhere under a specific title which will make it easier to find if someone wants to do this job in the future. If I can do it, anyone can. It was a case of disassembling the window mechanism, replacing the rubber seal, cleaning up the frame and operating components, lubricating and reassembling them.

Here is the left one before I started.

Here is the new rubber seal.

Here is the left finished.

Here is the right one finished.

See the separate thread for the detail in between if you are interested.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Craig Tucker

Australia
654 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  12:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art,

make sure you get the correct window into the correct chassis #.

Because there are differences in the knobs. Old (the ones you have done) and new.

;) C.T.

1969 300SEL 6.3 (to be AMG 6.8 replica) #1268
1971 300SEL 6.3 #5713
1970 600 SWB #1692
1993 300E-24
1959 220SE Ponton #9500929
1983 Schuler 5.0lt Range Rover
Go to Top of Page

France
321 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  13:51:40  Show Profile  Visit 109056's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have right Craig , All 6.3 came out the factory with the new knob style .

The early know were instaled before 1968 on 250S / 250SE / 300SE / 300SEL.

1970 300sel 3.5 #4844
1972 300sel 6.3 #6516
1976 450sel 6.9 #1210
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  18:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that advice. I questioned it with Justin telling him I believed these were an earlier style knob. But he assured me these were the windows that came out of the car, so someone has swapped them out before he got the car. There are enough spares to swap the levers over to the correct ones.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  00:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have swapped to the correct knobs.

Last Tuesday evening, when I wasn't at the shed, Wayne and Justin pulled the motor from #5810 apart. Wayne said it was in the best condition of the ones so far. He has taken the block and crank to the engineering shop. Here is the rest.

Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  00:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The motor has been bored, crank checked, heads checked and repaired, cams ground, ball studs made. Some of this is on the threads I have set up on M100.981 engines and the ball studs. Currently trial fitting of components is underway.

The timber is all wrapped up along with that from #4426 and my 300SE coupe and LWB Finnie, but we haven't freighted the package yet - too many things to do. At least it is finally in an appropriate box.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  01:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cam shafts have been done and Wayne is doing some trial fitting of the rockers.

Art
Go to Top of Page

Australia
73 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  03:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys
Im new to M100 Group and can i say what a great project you have on the go, i have a 6.3 that im doing at the moment and have found all your tips very helpful keep up the good work i will be posting some pics sortly.
Go to Top of Page

MHenderson

Australia
210 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  04:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard!

What number is your 6.3? Did you know that there is a registry?

300 SEL 6.3 # 2462
300 SEL 6.3 # 0953
300 SEL 2.8 # 1404

Elegant Brutality
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06