Page: of 16

Royboy

Germany
176 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  10:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Art Love

Roy,
The seal kits and clutch packs have come from Tom Hanson at the Classic Center in Irvine. The bands can be relined. I'm not sure which one of Justin's mates (or relatives) built the heater pipes or whether they are willing to make more. There would certainly be a market. I also have no idea what they cost. Justin is on holidays at the moment and won't be home for another week, so I can't ask him. I'll try to remember when he gets back.
Art

Thanks Art, as I said to Ron my problem with my tranny, I donīt know if anyone could say from that description what I would be needing. So I thought to take it a part and see from there with allīs your guidence that is.
The heater pipe abit of a long shot I know & before I find someone here to get the wright angle thought it would be quicker to get it over with a little package I get from Adelaide once in a while. Maybe you should send me a photo to put on ebay here, there might be a few people that would like one ready made :-)
Roy
Go to Top of Page

Craig Tucker

Australia
654 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  10:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art,

Why didnt Justin make the pipes out of copper?

Cheaper and easier to work with and, you can plate them to look original!!

Just a thought??

C.T.

1969 300SEL 6.3 (to be AMG 6.8 replica) #1268
1971 300SEL 6.3 #5713
1970 600 SWB #1692
1993 300E-24
1959 220SE Ponton #9500929
1983 Schuler 5.0lt Range Rover
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  19:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig,
I know you made pipes for the ponton out of copper. I thought the same thing and had some steam engine people here make me this same pipe out of copper. They had trouble bending the copper pipe at reverse right angles over such short distances and used "commercial" pieces for the angles. Needless to say, the end result would not fit. Maybe Justin was put off by my experiences. I don't know. I didn't know he was having these made - he showed them to me when they were done. He does have mates and relatives who are experts with this stuff, so I guess he used the people he knew. I'll ask him when he gets back from holidays.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Craig Tucker

Australia
654 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  04:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These ones Art?

And I can tell you that ponton heater pipes are way harder to make and more complex than 6.3's.....lol.

BTW; that curved heater hose you can see under the oil pressure line was there so we could run the engine without the heaters in the loop so to speak.

Geeeeze you have a good memory!

C.T.

1969 300SEL 6.3 (to be AMG 6.8 replica) #1268
1971 300SEL 6.3 #5713
1970 600 SWB #1692
1993 300E-24
1959 220SE Ponton #9500929
1983 Schuler 5.0lt Range Rover

Edited by - Craig Tucker on 01/07/2012 09:34:33
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  02:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After months of distractions, we are finally back on this project and are rebuilding the front axle. In this series of pictures you will see Justin attaching the new lower control arm trunnions (pivot pins).

I was talking today on the phone with my old mate Ken Carmichael who said he had noted my posting about Ronny's twisted upper control arm on his 6.3 and it reminded him of an experience he had many years ago when a mechanic reused old bolts on his trunnions and they kept coming loose resulting in acute steering failure when one end of one trunnion came adrift. I believe it was that sort of thing that Paul was referring to in his suggestion about what had gone wrong on Ronny's car.

You can see that Justin is using all new items from one of M-B's repair kits from Tom Hanson. The new bolts are suffiently tight in the powder coated subframe to need a brass drift to get them into the holes. The series of photos are pretty self explanatory, so I'll just list them all and then make a comment at the end.

So, having done all that, I went off to look at the Service Manual to give Justin the torque setting for the nuts and discovered that there should be a plain washer under the heads of the 8 bolts. They are not included in the kits, I guess because thay can safely be reused. They are listed in the Parts Manual, but NOT shown in the exploded parts diagrams. If my interpretation of the manual is correct, they are 108 990 08 40. The other thing I find interesting is that in the Service Manual, the bolts are shown going in from the top as Justin has done them, yet in the Parts Manual, they are shown going in from the bottom. M-B are very fussy with their Parts Manuals and usually you can rely on them for the orientation of the parts. Justin has the old plain washers with the old trunnion. I'll see if I can get some new ones and we'll redo the job. My final comment is that doing this on the hoist with the motor out is a breeze.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  17:02:50  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am sure those washers are hardened. The nut and bolt place in Salisbury has them.
...and yes old bolts will keep coming undone.... (duh Ron..)

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  18:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken said that his bolts had been put back in from the bottom like in the Parts Manual on his W111 220SE coupe, and when the nuts loosened, the bolts literally fell out leaving him with a loose trunnion while he was driving.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Martin L

Australia
343 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  19:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A small update. Justin has had 2 heater pipes fabricated in stainless steel. This is nice workmanship.

Art

Hi Art,

Have you found out who made the heater pipes and if they are willing to make any more? #6481 needs a new one and they seem to be NLA.

Martin
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  02:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Martin, I forgot to ask him. I'll try to remember tomorrow.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Martin L

Australia
343 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  03:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Art. I'm thinking that he might have a big seller if he can produce them at a reasonable price.

Martin

Edited by - Martin L on 03/02/2012 03:42:08
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  00:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gave Justin a water pump housing the other day so he should be right for getting the water moving again.

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  01:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, and he is very grateful and was working on it today. He has bead blasted it and freshened up the faces. It will replace a cracked housing on one of the motors.

Art
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6239 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  01:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin,
I've sent you a PE. Justin said the stainless steel exhaust shop made them, I presume the same shop that made the headers for #4426. They obviously have a good pipe bender and good welding skills. Justin thought there would be trouble getting the correct diameter pipe, but that turned out to not be a problem, presumably because of our increasingly metric market. They weren't cheap, but there is a lot of skilled work in them.
Art
Go to Top of Page

abl567

Australia
930 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  01:36:13  Show Profile  Visit abl567's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, and he is very grateful and was working on it today. He has bead blasted it and freshened up the faces. It will replace a cracked housing on one of the motors.

Art

Good to see Justin has his Queensland certified OH & S work boots on

300SEL
6.3 #2723, my first classic Benz
3.5 #8659, my second.
2 to go...
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  06:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He's not a closet kiwi is he?

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06