Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  03:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The original plan was to drive the car. Then Michael Smart rang me and said he had to sell his car, so Justin and I bought it and the plan then was to fix it quickly and use it as a daily driver. Then Michael's car turned into a can of worms - see #4426 thread. So, this car is getting done a lot more slowly than originally hoped and Michael's car is getting done and #771, the race car project is totally stalled. Then we had the floods and we lost several weeks resurrecting the Finnie and that 6.3. So, I don't know what the future will hold because Justin is also flat out with work and keeping the trucks on the road and raising children and keeping my daughter happy. At this rate, he'll have it finished in time for his retirement.

Not sure whether Mike's car had Koni's or not, but I suspect it will end up with Bilsteins unless Justin has done a job lot deal with the Koni supplier. I'll ask him when I am next talking with him, but it may not be for a week or so, because I am away for a few days from tomorrow.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  03:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a picture of the looms of wire ready for the wiring loom rebuilds.

Rear brake calipers rebuilt.

Art
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2011 :  00:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tailshaft has been balanced and both front and rear universals replaced. Now the centre bearing rubber will be replaced and the shaft repainted including the colour rings on the front shaft.

Art
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  03:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Current project in the rebuild is the auto. There is some mild warping of the case facings which is being corrected on the sander shown in the series. Note the repair work to flatten the steel of the sump around the bolt holes. Note the split in the band lining. Overall, this auto is in pretty good condition. When it is finished, #4426's auto will follow.

Justin is also looking at a very minor modification to the speedo drive to include a tiny cup seal to stop the troublesome ATF leaks associated with the device. The reverse spiral oil feed works fine when the auto is running, but doesn't stop a weep when it is stationary.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  17:33:19  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And the center seal in the coupler.
get the band ends crack tested, Nothing more annoying than busting the end off.

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

AUSPUFF

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  08:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Art Love

Kai,
He showed me a box of reels of wire. I doubt I could lift it. He said he could get every colour code except one. He's planning to do looms for all 3 of his cars. The patterns are for #5810 using its loom to make the detail. You can't see it very well in the picture, but there are studs screwed into the plywood at every junction that guide the wires. When I did the 190SL back in the late 1980's, there was a company here that rebuilt and recovered wiring looms with the original woven cloth finish. I had them do the 190SL loom and they did a great job. I don't now if they still exist. I probably have a business card here somewhere. I will certainly have an invoice.
Art

I realize this is kind of old and despite the fact there aren't any recent updates, chances are you guys are way past the wire harness stage. Just wanted to let you know of a very easy and cheap solution to the MIA woven cloth tape. I've done quite a bit of wire harnesses for VW/AUDI cars and I found one product that is a perfect 1 to 1 match as far as OEM look and it's readily available at any sporting goods store for less than a $1. Hockey Tape. It's used on the hockey stick grip handle and it looks feels and even smells just like the cloth tape the factory uses in all the VW/AUDI cars I've seen. Haven't had the chance to look at my MB yet but it's probably the same.

You may laugh at this but trust me check it out! It's perfect for patching up OEM look areas for those of you that don't necessarily need to do a full car rewire.

Edited by - AUSPUFF on 12/19/2011 08:41:28
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  16:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trust Vw to use hockey tape...
If you look up under your dash you will mercedes used a woven sheath for their looms. In our case in Australia there are only two machines in whole country which can do this so we only have the option of using that woven sheath stuff. Apart from the shiny look ,It's almost the correct appearance for restorations.
You can still buy these machines though.
http://www.compositewire.com/wireharness.php

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  17:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wiring looms haven't progressed. The auto guy has been away. The centre seal of the fluid coupling is to be done. The last project was to rebuild the water pumps for both this car and #4426. I haven't posted that here so far because I wanted to use it for a Lode Star article and the Lode Star is months late.

Except for a pile of zinced items and the water pumps, there has not been much progress because there are so many other things on Justin's plate.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  02:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A small update. Justin has had 2 heater pipes fabricated in stainless steel. This is nice workmanship.

Art
Go to Top of Page

Royboy

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  15:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Art, that is fascinating & beautiful work on the auto transmission. Can one rely on MB for all of the parts or do you work with a special transmission work shop for sourcing.

Also whats the chance of getting hold of a heater pipe in stainless, I belive we need only one correct me if I´m wrong, I had to find a used one as my old original turned into a shower rail after sand blasting at the last rebuild and as I will be dismantling soon that would be a good quality replacement part.
Cheers Roy.
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  17:04:02  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only bits that cant be bought are the main bands although I understand Niemoller sells relined parts. The trannys share a lot of parts with the W111 and W112 cars trannys and the former are very common here (I have scrapped them when the piles of used ones got too big)

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

Art Love

Australia
6237 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  18:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roy,
The seal kits and clutch packs have come from Tom Hanson at the Classic Center in Irvine. The bands can be relined. I'm not sure which one of Justin's mates (or relatives) built the heater pipes or whether they are willing to make more. There would certainly be a market. I also have no idea what they cost. Justin is on holidays at the moment and won't be home for another week, so I can't ask him. I'll try to remember when he gets back.
Art
Go to Top of Page

MHenderson

Australia
210 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  00:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art Selling Benz parts back to Germany.....heheheeee

300 SEL 6.3 # 2462
300 SEL 6.3 # 0953

Elegant Brutality
Go to Top of Page

Royboy

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  10:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron B

The only bits that cant be bought are the main bands although I understand Niemoller sells relined parts. The trannys share a lot of parts with the W111 and W112 cars trannys and the former are very common here (I have scrapped them when the piles of used ones got too big)

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

Ron that’s good news, I got in touch with them and they have all the seals and said he knows a company that can reline the bands. Mine won´t change into 2nd when its warm only playing with the accelerator pedal at lower rev´s then it will finally change up, quite embarrassing I must say….. I just smile at the by standers and say “clutch trouble” if they only new :-)
Roy

Go to Top of Page

james lawson

USA
1334 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  10:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have interest in two pipes. If he wants to do several.
Jim

jim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06